Report lost property
The Lost Property Reporting Form is designed to allow you to notify Police Scotland of the loss of an item of property without speaking directly to a member of staff. Where possible, the form will be accessed by a member of staff the next working day. An initial check of found property will be carried out against the details provided by you. Should this result in a potential match for the item(s) being reported lost then you will be contacted as soon as practical.
If no potential match is identified and it is in order for Police Scotland to do so, a Loss Report will be raised and posted to you at the address provided on the form.
Please note that it may not be appropriate for Police Scotland to record the loss.
- We can not take a Loss Report where the property has been lost out with our force boundaries i.e. outwith Scotland.
- We can not take a Loss Report where the property has been lost on public transport. Please contact the company operating the service.
- We do not raise Loss Reports for lost keys on their own, any keys presented to us as found property are retained at the station where they were handed in to. Please contact the stations local to where the loss may have occurred.
- No Loss Report will be taken for mobile phones unless you can provide the IMEI number. Your service provider will be able to advise you of this and it must be known to you before you report the loss.
- This form should not be used to report the loss of pets or any livestock.
Please note it is our policy to destroy bank cards handed in as found property and notify the bank accordingly.
Please also be aware that we are not permitted to return passports which come into police possession as found property. Our policy is to comply with the Passport Authority instructions that they are rendered invalid and forwarded to the relevant Passport Authority. Please inform the Passport Authority as soon as you can about your lost passport.
Please also be aware that we may not be permitted to return Driving Licences which come into police possession as individual items of found property. Please inform the DVLA as soon as you can about your lost licence.
If you have lost a mobile phone, you should ensure that you have notified your service provider to block the device.
If you’ve reported domestic abuse, rape or sexual crimes to us, we’d appreciate your feedback on the service we provided.
Policing Scotland has been working to make its websites more accessible - read our accessibility statement.
The official police resource for Scotland. Find advice and support for any situation you might be facing.