Protecting your car
Information on how to protect your car when out and about.
On this page:
There are many things you can do to prevent your car from being stolen or broken into:
- Mark any valuables in your car, such as your Sat Nav, with your postcode and house number/name
- Register valuables on Immobilise website
- Fit a car alarm
- Use locking wheel nuts to stop the theft of your wheels
- Never leave your car open and unattended
- Never defrost windows with the keys in the ignition. Car thieves look for this especially early in the morning. If you make an insurance claim you may not get far if it's seen as driver negligence. It’s an offence to leave a car unattended on a road with the engine running.
Always remove keys from the ignition. Lock your car if you need to walk to the petrol station shop to pay.
Car thieves are on the lookout for insecure cars that can easily be taken. Your insurance claim could be affected.
Some advice to think about if you are parking your car:
- Keep your car off the street if possible
- If you’re at home and you have a garage then use it
- Make sure you lock both the car and the garage
- Make use of the driveway if you have one
- Don’t park in isolated or remote areas
- Park in a busy, well-lit and CCTV covered area
- Try and park close to the exit as more cars which will pass your car which makes it harder for thieves to operate
- If parking in public or using airport parking, look for a car park with the Park Mark sign. These car parks deter crime and anti-social behaviour. Find a location on the Park Mark website.
Some advice for what you should do after you've parked your car.
- Lock all items out of sight
- Don’t leave anything on display
- Take valuables with you
- If you have a Sat Nav, hide the holder and take the system with you (wipe the suction marks off the window)
- Take any personal letters with you so others don't see important personal information or your home address
- Use a steering lock
- If you have an alarm then make sure it’s set
- MLA approved Locksmiths can help with vehicle keys and locks if required.
www.immobilise.com to register your valuables.