Police Scotland advice following weather warnings
Police Scotland is advising people that the Met Office has issued an Amber weather warning for high winds across half of Scotland.
The Amber warning is currently valid from 2pm, Wednesday 16 February, to midnight on Wednesday, 16 February 2022.
A Yellow warning has also been issued by the Met Office from 1pm, Wednesday 16 February, to 6am on Thursday, 17 February 2022.
Chief Inspector Neil Lumsden, of Road Policing, said: "We are asking motorists to be prepared for the potential for strong winds across Scotland following the weather warnings from the Met Office.
"You should allow extra time for your journey and drive to the road conditions.
"I would urge motorists to check the Met Office and Traffic Scotland websites and social media before setting out on their journey, particularly in those areas most affected by the predicted adverse weather.”
Advice for road users:
- All drivers should ask themselves if they really need to travel when the conditions are poor
- If you can, choose main roads, where you are less likely to be exposed to fallen branches and debris.
- Gusts of wind can unsettle vehicles - keep a firm grip on your steering wheel with both hands. This is particularly important when overtaking.
- Remember to give vulnerable road users including cyclists, motorcyclists and pedestrians more room than usual. They are more likely to be blown around by side winds.
Additional advice for high sided vehicle drivers:
- Plan your route to avoid exposed areas including bridges, if possible
- Consider cancelling your journey until conditions improve
- Be wary of open stretches of road exposed to strong crosswinds, or when passing bridges or gaps in hedges
Listen to media broadcasts, especially local radio and Traffic Scotland Radio for the latest information.
Other useful links:
Transport Scotland website (click here)
Met Office website (click here)
Twitter accounts to follow:
@metoffice (latest weather warnings)
@trafficscotland (live trunk road updates)
@TravelineScot (check services)