*Update 25/11/19 - Applications are now invited to transfer to Police Scotland for the rank of Constable. Opportunities are available throughout Scotland however priority will be given to officers who wish to work in L Division - Argyll & Bute. 

If you're a serving officer in a recognised Home Office Police Force in England, Wales, Northern Ireland or the British Transport Police, you can be considered to transfer to Police Scotland. You must have a minimum of three years service and be free from any outstanding complaints.

Your application will be sifted to the same high standards expected for any applicant to this organisation. If successful we will then write to your current force to gain access to your personal record and PDR's. Checks will then be undertaken which includes your local Professional Standards Deparment and Vetting. Should you pass this, you will be invited to an interview.  You will thereafter return to undertake a fitness test, medical and substance misuse testing.

On the basis of continued organisational change including the ongoing review of all HR processes, we reserve the right to amend the current recruitment process over the coming months.

Officers serving with the Ministry of Defence or another non Home Office Force such as Royal Parks, Civil Nuclear Constabulary, Ports of Dover, Liverpool and Bristol which are not classed as police forces under the Police Act 1996 are not eligible to transfer. In this instance, you'll be treated as a new candidate and, if appointed, undergo full foundation training and probation.


Officers transferring from forces outside Scotland will undergo local training, as well as a three week course at the Scottish Police College. You will not be required to serve a period of probation.


Initially you will undertake operational policing duties at a territorial division.  The Division you will be posted to will be based on the divisional preferences chosen by you on your posting preference form. The development of your future career will depend on good performance and success in relevant selection processes.

Pay and Allowances

When you transfer you will be paid at the equivalent rate of an officer serving in Police Scotland in respect of your length of service.  If you receive CRTP, this will continue.  If you received housing allowance prior to August 1994, this will also continue.