Subject Access Requests

Article 15 of the General Data Protection Regulation and section 45 of the Data Protection Act 2018 provide a right of access to the information Police Scotland holds about you.

You can submit a subject access request by emailing:

An application form can be downloaded below.

Please note that there is no charge for subject access requests.

Your request must however be accompanied by scans/ photos/ photocopies of two official documents which between them should confirm your date of birth and your current address (further details in the form).

(Any postal applications can be sent to - Data Protection Central Processing Unit, Information Management Unit, Police Scotland, Queen Street, Aberdeen, AB10 1ZA )

Provided we have sufficient information to locate the information sought and the Chief Constable is satisfied as to your identity, we have one month to reply to your request.

If you need any further advice or guidance, please call 101 and ask to speak to the Information Management team in your local area.

The Information Commissioner can also advise further in relation to your rights.

Before making a request, please note that if you need a copy of your criminal record for the purpose of travelling abroad and/ or for visa purposes you should contact the relevant Embassy or Consulate to confirm which certificates are acceptable for the particular visa application. The ACRO Criminal Records Office provides police certificates for the specific purpose of emigrating to Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa or the USA.

It is a criminal offence for someone to require you to make a subject access request - for example for your conviction history - in connection with:

  • your recruitment or continued employment;
  • any contract with you for the provision of services, e.g. as a self-employed person; or
  • you being provided with goods, facilities or services, e.g. by an insurance provider.

Disclosure Scotland can advise in relation to employment related disclosures and they can also provide you with a Basic Disclosure (your unspent conviction history).

Related Documents

PDF files on this page require a PDF reader, such as the free Adobe Acrobat Reader (download).

If you would like this information in an alternative format or language - please phone us on 101 to discuss your needs.