If you’re out and about, here are some hints to keep you safe
- If you are walking anywhere try to keep to busy, well lit areas.
- Walk on pavements where possible. If you have to walk on the road, walk facing the traffic (with the front of the cars coming towards you).
- If there’s a crossing near where you want to cross the road, use it.
- If you’re cycling wear a helmet. Take care around pedestrians when cycling on pavements and cycle on the left if you’re cycling on the road.
- Never accept a lift from someone you don’t know.
- If you need a taxi to get home, phone a taxi company that you know. If you don’t know any local numbers, ask a trusted adult to book you a taxi with a company they know.
- If you are travelling by bus or train, sit in a busy section and keep your belongings close to you. If someone talks to you or sits next to you and makes you feel uncomfortable move seat. Try to sit closer to the driver. Tell a driver or member of staff.