Applications remain open for any future intake dates that will commence in 2020.
Although the content of the training is consistent, the training is offered in two structures, designed to meet the needs and availability of the individual. The first structure comprises a three week residential course based at The Scottish Police College followed by a further residential weekend offering the opportunity to participate in practical exercises and the Oath Ceremony. The second option is based on more localised training and will be delivered over a series of weekends and/or evenings. This option will take longer to complete although the contact time remains the same as the condensed residential option. Where circumstances allow, consideration may be given to creating a bespoke training package which incorporates aspects of both structures.
Following initial training, continuous professional development opportunities are provided through local training centres and Special Constables Divisional Coordinators.
During training you will learn about police and the community, evidence, crime, general police duties, road policing and investigative skills. You will also receive training in operational safety techniques, police powers, scenes of crime, radio procedures, powers of arrest, detention and search and community issues.
Only upon successful completion of the Initial Course and attainment of the relevant assessment criteria, will officers be sworn in and deployed, normally within the local area of your choice.
This is what some of our Special Constables said about the training course
- "The intensive course at Tulliallan was brilliant. It gave us great experience at the main police college and it was easier to develop knowledge and confidence having the lessons compacted and in depth. It suited my learning style and proved the commitment level we had to the course
- "the practical's helped a lot with confidence - practical weekend was really beneficial".
- "Trainers were really good - approachable and very knowledgeable".
The following training dates have been set for 2020:
3 WEEK RESIDENTIAL TRAINING AT SPC
- Sunday 8th March - Friday 27th March 2020, followed by a residential practical weekend and oath ceremony on the weekend of 4th/5th April 2020
- Sunday 26th July - Friday 14th August 2020, followed by a residential practical weekend and oath ceremony on the weekend of 22nd/23rd August 2020
LOCALISED TRAINING START DATES
- Saturday 8th February 2020
- Saturday 26th September 2020