Skip to site content Skip to main menu

What can I do if this is happening to someone I know?

Click here if you want to navigate away from this page quickly.


If someone you know, is or may be at risk of domestic abuse, please contact Police Scotland or our partner agencies for help. If the abuse is ongoing please always phone 101, or 999 in an emergency.

If you have concerns regarding a victim of domestic abuse you can also;

  • Speak to the police in person by attending at your local police station.
  • Use our online reporting form if you are unable to go to your local police station (or prefer to remain anonymous).
  • Or contact Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline on 0800 027 1234, where support is available 24/7.

The Disclosure Scheme for Domestic Abuse Scotland (DSDAS) aims to prevent domestic abuse by giving people the right to ask about the background of their partner.

It also allows concerned members of the public, such as relatives and friends, the right to ask about someone’s partner if they are concerned that person has been abusive in the past.

You can submit a Right to Ask’ application if you are concerned about someone else.

Partners & other organisations that can help