Skip to site content Skip to main menu

Other agencies who may be able to assist you

British Transport Police

The British Transport Police (BTP) police Britain's railways, providing a service to rail operators, their staff and passengers across the country. They also police Glasgow Subway

Telephone: 0800 40 50 40


Council Websites

Your local authority councils are responsible for a wide range of services including: littering; graffiti; fly posting; dog offences; trading standards. To visit their website and find out information or full contact details please click on of the link.


CEOP Command

The NCA's CEOP Command (formerly the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre) works with child protection partners across the UK and overseas to identify the main threats to children and coordinates activity against these threats to bring offenders to account. We protect children from harm online and offline, directly through NCA led operations and in partnership with local and international agencies.

Telephone 0870 000 3344



ChildLine is a private and confidential service for children and young people up to the age of 19. You can contact a ChildLine counsellor about anything - no problem is too big or too small.

Telephone 0800 11 11


HM Coastguard is responsible for the initiation and co-ordination of all maritime search and rescue (SAR) within the UK Maritime Search and Rescue Region. This includes the mobilisation, organisation and tasking of adequate resources to respond to persons either in distress at sea, or to persons at risk of injury or death on the cliffs or shoreline of the United Kingdom.

If you think someone is in difficulty at sea or along the coastline always dial 999 and ask for the Coastguard.
For non-emergencies and further information relating to issues surrounding the coast or at sea HM Coastguard can be contacted on the following numbers:

Aberdeen Coastguard Operations Centre: 01224 592334 (East Scotland)
Belfast Coastguard Operations Centre: 02891 463933 (West Scotland)
Shetland Coastguard Operations Centre: 01595 692976 (Northern Scotland)
Stornoway Coastguard Operations Centre: 01851 702013 (North West Scotland)

Countering Terrorism

The Anti-Terrorist Hotline is a dedicated number staffed by specialist counter terrorism officers 24 hours a day. Members of the public should call the number if they have any concerns about unusual behaviour or activity in their neighbourhood. The public can play a vital part in providing information that could help disrupt terrorist planning and save lives.

Callers to the Anti-Terrorist Hotline can speak in confidence to officers and discuss their concerns.

Telephone: 0800 789 321 (in emergencies always call 999)



Crimestoppers are an independent charity helping law enforcement to locate criminals and help solve crimes. They pay cash rewards of up to £1,000 if the information you give leads to one or more people being arrested and charged.

Telephone 0800 555 111


Domestic Abuse Helpline (SDAH)

The Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline offers telephone information and support to anyone affected by Domestic abuse or Forced marriage.

The service is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year.  An email support and information service is available.

Telephone 0800 027 1234


Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)

The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) maintains registers of drivers and vehicles in Great Britain. This information helps to improve road safety; reduce vehicle related crime; support environmental initiatives; and limit vehicle tax evasion.


Elder Abuse Scotland

Action on Elder Abuse (AEA) Scotland works to protect older people from harm, abuse and neglect. They support those experiencing (or at risk of) harm, as well as raising awareness and advocating effective prevention.


Firearms and Explosives Licensing Enquiries

The Police Scotland Firearms and Explosives Licensing Unit administers licenses for all current firearms, shotguns and explosives certificate holders in the joint force area. For online forms and information, follow the link.


Fire and Rescue Service

Follow the link for The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service web page.

In an emergency dial 999


Get Safe Online

Get Safe Online is the UK's leading source of unbiased, factual and easy-to-understand information on online safety. Their website provides practical advice on how to protect yourself, your computers and mobiles device and your business against fraud, identity theft, viruses and many other problems encountered online.

GOV.UK is the website for the UK government. It's the best place for citizens and businesses to find information and detailed guidance on government and policy.



Immobilise is the world's largest free register of possession ownership details, helping to reduce crime and repatriate recovered personal property to its rightful owners. It can be used by members of the public and businesses to register their valued possessions or company assets, and exclusive to Immobilise all account holders registered items and ownership details are viewable on the police national property database.


Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC)

The Police Investigations & Review Commissioner (PIRC) is an independent organisation not connected to the police. The role of the PIRC is to undertake independent investigations into the most serious incidents involving the police and to provide independent scrutiny of the way police bodies operating in Scotland respond to complaints from the public.

Telephone 0808 178 557


Media Enquiries to Police Scotland

Members of the media who wish to contact Police Scotland with an enquiry should direct calls to one of the following numbers during office hours.


Narcotics Anonymous

Narcotics Anonymous is a non-profit fellowship or  society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. They  provide a twelve-step approach to recovery with the primary purpose of helping any individual to stop using  drugs. For over 20 years, Narcotics Anonymous has steadily grown throughout Scotland with over 100 recovery meeting’s taking place across Scotland every week.


National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)

The NSPCC are the leading children's charity fighting to end child abuse in the UK and Channel Islands. They help children who've been abused to rebuild their lives, protect those at risk, and find the best ways of preventing abuse from ever happening.

Telephone: 0808 800 5000
Text: 88858


Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) and Home Watch

Neighbourhood (Scotland) is a voluntary network of schemes where neighbours come together, along with the police and local partners, to build safe and friendly communities.

Telephone: 01786 463732


NHS 111 Service

You can call 111 when you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency. NHS 111 is a fast and easy way to get the right help, whatever the time.


Rape Crisis Scotland

Rape Crisis Scotland (RCS) is the national office for the rape crisis movement in Scotland. RCS work with other agencies such as the police, Crown Office and health services providing training and consultancy to improve the response to those who are affected by and who perpetrate sexual violence.

The Rape Crisis Scotland National Helpline provides crisis support for anyone in Scotland affected by sexual violence at any time in their lives.

Telephone: 08088 01 03 02
Minicom: 0141 353 3091


Scottish Environment Protection Agency

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency are a non-departmental public body of the Scottish Government, whose role is to make sure that the environment and human health are protected, to ensure that Scotland’s natural resources and services are used as sustainably as possible and contribute to sustainable economic growth.

Telephone 03000 99 66 99


Scottish Government

The devolved government for Scotland has a range of responsibilities which include: health, education, justice, rural affairs, housing and the environment. Some powers are reserved to the UK government and include: immigration, the constitution, foreign policy and defence.

Telephone 0300 244 4000

Text Relay Service: 18001+ 0300 244 4000 (service for the deaf)


Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA)

The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Scottish SPCA) is Scotland's animal welfare charity.  They work hard to ensure that all animals can live a life free from pain and suffering, investigating and prosecuting those who deliberately harm animals.

Telephone 03000 999 999



The Samaritans are a charity which supports people who are in distress when they need help, 24hrs a day. People can talk for as long as they like, as many times as they like. They don't pass on what people tell them, not even the name of the caller.

Telephone 08457 90 90 90


Talk to Frank

Talk To Frank is a drugs education site providing impartial information about the effects of a wide range of legal and illegal drugs.


Victim Support Scotland

Victim Support Scotland is the lead voluntary organisation in Scotland helping people affected by crime. It provides emotional support, practical help and essential information to victims, witnesses and others affected by crime. The service is free, confidential and is provided by volunteers through a network of community based victim and youth justice services and court based witness services.

Telephone 0345 603 9213