Standards of Service for Victims and Witnesses
Section 2 of the Victims and Witnesses (Scotland) Act 2014 requires Police Scotland, The Parole Board for Scotland the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, the Scottish Courts and Tribunals Service, and the Scottish Prison Service to set and publish standards of service for victims and witnesses.
All of our standards will be monitored, reviewed and reported on annually.
Being a victim of crime, or witnessing a crime, can be a very upsetting and difficult experience. We appreciate this, and we have the following standards which we hope will improve your experience:
- That a victim or witness should be able to obtain information about what is happening in the investigation or proceedings;
- That the safety of a victim or witness should be ensured during and after the investigation and proceedings;
- That a victim or witness should have access to appropriate support during and after the investigation and proceedings; and
- That, in so far as it would be appropriate to do so, a victim or witness should be able to participate effectively in the investigation and proceedings.
In relation to obtaining information, you can also expect that:
- You should have access to relevant information at an early stage and at appropriate points in the process. This should include information on procedures, your role in them (if any), reports on progress (giving an explanation of any delays) and outcomes of criminal proceedings, and where, if possible, you can get further information and assistance;
- You should be able to understand the information that is given to you. The language should be easy to understand and the information should be available in alternative languages or formats if required; and
- You should be told who to contact if you want to discuss the information that has been provided and anything you do not understand will be explained to you.
You can view this, and the original standards of service document below.
If you would like this information in an alternative format or language - please phone us on 101 to discuss your needs.
- Standards of Service for Victims and Witnesses 2019-20 (PDF)
- Standards of Service for Victims and Witnesses Annual Report 2018-19 (PDF)
- Standards of Service for Victims and Witnesses 2018-19 (PDF)
- Standards of Service for Victims and Witnesses Annual Report 2017-18 (PDF)