Skip to site content Skip to main menu

How to Make a Complaint

Use our online form to make a complaint.

You should use this form to initiate the process of making a formal complaint against one or more officers or members of support staff employed by Police Service of Scotland.

You should not use this form to report a crime, or for any other purpose.

Ideally we need to know the following information where possible:

  • When did it happen? The time and date of the incident.
  • Where did it happen? The exact location of where the incident occurred.
  • What happened? Describe the incident in as much detail as you can and be specific about what it is you are concerned about.
  • Who are the officer(s) or member(s) of staff you have concerns about? Provide names and collar numbers.
  • Were there any witnesses to what happened? If so, provide details of how they can be contacted.  In addition, indicate if evidence of injury or damage to property is available to support your concerns.
  • How you would like to be contacted? Please provide your preferred method of contact.

When you have this information available you can make your complaint in a number of ways:

  • Complete our online complaint form
  • Write to the Professional Standards Department, PO Box 2460, Police Scotland, Dalmarnock, Glasgow, G40 9BA.
  • Dial 101 and make a report of your complaint over the telephone.
  • Attend at a police station in person (find your local station here)

If you are still unsure what to do

If you are dissatisfied but not sure if you have grounds for a complaint or you are unclear about our processes, please contact us so that we can discuss the circumstances with you.

Complaints about Senior Police Officers

If your complaint is about the Chief Constable (CC), a Deputy Chief Constable (DCC) or an Assistant Chief Constable (ACC) you should contact the Scottish Police Authority (SPA). The SPA was established under the Police and Fire Reform (Scotland) Act 2012 to maintain policing, promote policing principles and continuous improvement of policing, and to hold the Chief Constable to account

Links to other relevant information

Advice and guidance relating to complaints about the police can also be gained by visiting the following websites:

Malicious complaints

Anyone who knowingly makes a false complaint about a police officer or member of police staff may be prosecuted by the Procurator Fiscal (and may be liable to civil action by the officer complained about).

Related Documents


Recruitment 217X145

Are you ready for a life changing career - Join us.

Coronavirus reporting and FAQ 217x145

Read about reporting and FAQ to help you understand how we are policing the restrictions.

Ask The Scottish Police Feature Bnr 217X145

The Ask the Police Scotland mobile app is available for Android or Apple iOS.