Skip to site content Skip to main menu


Explosive Liaison Officers from the Firearms and Explosives Licensing Section are responsible for the administration and enforcement of the following legislation and are appointed as Inspectors under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 for this purpose.

Explosives Regulations 2014 (ER2014) 

These new regulations came into force on the 1st October 2014 and deal with the suitability of a person or corporate body to possess and store explosives.  

Any person or body that wishes to acquire and/or keep any explosive that is deemed to be 'security sensitive' for example, black powder, blasting explosives or detonators, will require an appropriate certificate issued under these regulations, for the storage of certain quantities of explosives a Licence to Store may be required.

Applications for explosives certificates and licences must now be made on the relevant new style application forms.

The main users of Explosives and therefore those who require licensing are:

  • Sporting and Social Use - muzzle loading weapons, re-enactment events
  • Mines and Quarries - use explosives for breaking up rock and displacing large quantities or earth.
  • Demolition - demolishing buildings.Oil Industry  - Cutting, sealing and capping.

There are two types of Explosives Certificates:

Acquire Only - this is issued to permit a person or corporate body to obtain explosives which are used straight away and are not kept overnight.

Acquire and Keep - this is issued to allow a person or corporate body to obtain explosives and keep them in an approved storage place.

Both of these certificates are valid for up to five years.

Form ER 4 -  Company / Club / Society applicants.

Form ER 4A - Individual applicants only (Firearms / Shot Guns / Re-enactment).

Form ER 4B - Application for coterminous renewal of Black Powder Certificate with a Firearm or Shot Gun Certificate.

Police Licensed Storage Places ( lays down the requirements for the safe and secure storage of all explosives. In respect of the storage of any explosive for which a certificate under ER 2014 is required, the licensing and enforcing authority is the Chief Officer of Police in the area where the storage takes place.

When explosives are to be stored in quantities for which these regulations specify that a license must be in place, any application must be made to the police on an Application for a Storage Licence under the Explosives Regulations 2014.

Form ER 2B

Fees and/or Advice

Advice on Explosive matters or the current fees relevant to applications can be obtained from an Explosive Liaison Officer contactable through your local Firearms and Explosives Licensing Department.

Explosive Certificates previously issued under the former Control of Explosives Regulations 1991 will continue to remain in force until the date of their expiry or until they are varied or revoked by the Chief Officer of Police.

Explosive Registrations and Licences previously issued under the former Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations 2005 will continue to remain in force until the date of their expiry or until they are varied or revoked by the Chief Officer of Police.

Recipient Competent Authority documents (RCA) issued under the former Placing On the Market and Supervision of Transfers of Explosives Regulations 1993 will continue to remain in force until the date of their expiry or until they are revoked by the Health and Safety Executive.


Recruitment 217X145

Are you ready for a life changing career - Join us.

Coronavirus reporting and FAQ 217x145

Read about reporting and FAQ to help you understand how we are policing the restrictions.

Ask The Scottish Police Feature Bnr 217X145

The Ask the Police Scotland mobile app is available for Android or Apple iOS.