A money mule is anyone who is recruited by criminals to use their own bank account to transfer money from one country to another, usually from the country where the criminal lives. Normally the mule is offered a cash incentive for the use of their bank account.
How the Fraudsters Operate
Criminals often try to recruit mules by the following means:
- Unsolicited e-mails asking for assistance.
- Contact via social networking sites.
- False vacancies on websites posing as legitimate businesses.
- Classified, legitimate looking adverts in the press and online.
Take the following steps to avoid becoming a victim:
- Be wary of offers of large amounts of cash for very little work or no prior experience – this could indicate a fraudulent scheme.
- Always be cautious of overseas offers as it can be difficult to verify identity.
- Always research any company that offers you a job.
- NEVER give your bank details to anyone unless you know and trust them and even then be cautious.